3 Bean Kale Chili
I’m sure glad it hasn’t snowed, but boy it is definitely getting frosty outside!
We all know, I definitely prefer tropical climates.
Anywhoo, I still love cold weather food, especially chili!
It’s is a one of my favorite one-pot meals to make because it so easy and very hearty. Recently I adapted a recipe from my Grandma Carolyn’s cookbook and came up with this uber yummy vegetarian chili, and I added KALE for texture and yumminess!
Its no secret among my friends that I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE kale! It’s totally one of my favorite greens to juice with and eat, often!
You will need the following ingredients:
– ½ stick butter
– 1 onion, chopped
– ½ tsp juice from 1 lemon
– 1 tblsp of Worcestershire Sauce
– dash or 2 of Pepper Sauce
– 2 cans diced tomatoes
– 1 ½ cup mushrooms, chopped
– 1 bell pepper (optional – I didn’t use them this time)
– 2 cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained (I used light and dark red)
– 1 can of white beans, rinsed and drained
– 1 can of black beans, rinsed and drained
– 2 cups baby Kale (its tender and doesn’t take long to cook)
– 8oz can plain tomato sauce
– 4 tblsp chili powder
– sour cream
– shredded cheddar cheese
– green onions, chopped
First you want to melt your butter in the pot and then add your onions. Let them simmer until they have turned translucent. If you plan to add bell pepper, do that here.
Next you want to add your canned tomatoes and tomato sauce. Stir to incorporate and let that simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
Next you want to add in your Worcestershire sauce, a couple dashes of pepper sauce, lemon juice and the chili powder. Stir to incorporate.
Now you want to add your beans. After stirring to incorporate them, let this cook on low for 30 minutes.
This recipe is sure to please; I hope your family enjoys it as much as mine.
If you are on Instagram, tag me @ImSimplyD & let me know how yours comes out.